Tuesday 9 September 2014

WIBBOW wobble

Heh! As some of you might know, "WIBBOW" stands for "Would I Be Better Off Writing?"; a marketing precept I cribbed from Kristine Rusch. (If you're an author and don't read her stuff, particularly her business advice section, you definitely should. She's been there and done that and knows the ropes better than most.) In essence, WIBBOW boils down to time management. Am I wasting time Tweeting/writing a blog post that relatively few people will read and far less will care about, when I could be writing a short story that (potentially) many people will read and care about? The answer is usually "Yes", of course. Social media is unlikely to actually harm your sales, (unless you are a truly obnoxious personality, of course,) until it actively distracts you from getting your work out there. At that point, you should probably quit updating your status and get back to work.

So with that in mind, I should stop waffling! I have a few short stories on the go and I'll be aiming to get them in some professional (5 cents-per-word +) markets with big readerships. I'll keep you posted when they're out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment